by Xiaoyang Zhang (Audrey), EIP Mentor and Alumni – Graduated Spring 2013
“Sweet and sour pork ribs is my grandmother’s special dish. She always jokes around saying that my grandfather married her because of this recipe!”
Pork ribs 600-800g
One teaspoon cooking wine
Spring onion sections
2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons soya sauce
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon flour
5 chunks of pineapples
- Fill wok halfway with water and turn on the heat.
- Slowly add the spare ribs, and make sure they are all covered by water.
- Once the water is boiling, add the cooking wine.
- Boil for about 10-15 minutes until the ribs are 70% cooked.
- Remove the ribs and place them in a colander, use hot water to wash them.
- Place the ribs in a big bowl, add sugar, vinegar, soya sauce, spring onion sections, flour and ginger.
- Crack an egg into it and stir well with chopsticks. Wait for another 15 minutes.
- Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add some cooking oil and throw the ribs into it.
- Fry the spare ribs until they turn golden.
- Add hot water into the wok, and make sure all the ribs are covered by water. Add pineapples.
- Cook over medium heat, and wait until the water in the wok is dry.
- Turn off the heat, pick the ribs out from the wok and enjoy!